It’s time to take back ME!

by Erin L. on February 3, 2014

Today starts a new phase of my life — a phase where I make ME a priority.

I’ve been dejected lately and not happy – with my body, with my appearance, with the way I feel, parent, keep up my house etc.

Things need to change.

So today I’m taking ME back.

#takebackME

How am I going to do that you ask? By making a few changes in my every day life.

1) Drink more water.
I don’t get nearly enough and this is the easiest way to make your body feel better. Water helps with your skin, your stomach, headaches, etc. Eight glasses a day or more here I come. I also plan to start my day with warm lemon water. I have read SO many articles describing the benefits of lemon, so we’re going to give it a shot.

2) Get to the gym three times a week.
Bring on the Zumba and weight training! Biceps here I come!

3) Start doing yoga again.
I love yoga, but I haven’t done it in years. In fact, I think the last class I attended was when my son was six months old and I was still nursing. (Lactating during hot yoga was SUPER fun!)

4) Revamp my beauty regiment.
I can’t deny I’m getting older. New wrinkles have suddenly appeared overnight. I thought the one on the left side of my face was a sleep crease until it didn’t go away. I use a moisturizer every day, but I’m on the hunt for a new eye cream and something to help with my rosacea.

5) No self deprecating talk.
This is going to be a challenge. Yesterday someone told me my license picture was beautiful and I started say to “uggg, really?” but instead I just nodded and said “thank you.”

6) Make time for ME.
This can mean reading a book, having coffee with a friend or just sitting outside and enjoying the fresh air. Eventually it’s going to mean taking a step out and into acting. Before Mr. A was born, I was taking classes and gearing up for auditions. I’m ready to start that again.

Life gets busy and sometimes we forget about the most important person in our lives – OURSELVES. It’s time to that back.

Throughout this week, I’ll be focusing on different aspects of my goals. I’ll also be instagramming my journey at #takebackME. I hope you’ll join me.

Let’s do this.

For more on #takebackME, check out my posts on skin care and listening to your body.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Nadia Carriere February 3, 2014 at 7:38 am

You go girl! Taking time to do things for yourself is such a win win. You’ll feel amazing and your family will benefit from the new energized and health you! I decided to make the leap in September. Never going back.

2 Erin L. February 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’m so excited! And committed. Thanks for the encouragement.

3 Andrea B (@goodgirlgonered) February 3, 2014 at 8:40 am

Good for you, mama! It’s critical that we remember ourselves, and yet so easy to forget to do for us.

Looking forward to your journey!

4 Erin L. February 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I hope you’ll tag along and take back a little of YOU too :)

5 Kelly {the Centsible Life} February 3, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I’m right there with you! Looking forward to joining you on this journey.

6 Erin L. February 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm

It’s going to be good. I can feel it.

7 Whitney Wingerd February 3, 2014 at 3:12 pm

You go, Erin! I think we all need to remember to take a little time for ourselves. A happy Mommy makes for a happy house, right? Looking forward to watching you take back time for you and hopefully taking a page out of your book!

8 Erin L. February 4, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I hate that so many of us are in the same boat but I think we can encourage each other and the road to taking back ourselves.

9 Ellen Christian February 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm

What a great goal. I struggle with finding me time. I do need to work on that.

10 Jo-Lynne Shane {Musings of a Housewife} February 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I just ordered my first ever yoga mat! I have been to one class and I’m already hooked. Can’t wait to make this a part of my routine. It is so easy to let go of ourselves. I’m happy to see you making yourself a priority. xo

11 Erin L. February 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I didn’t make it this week as a cold sidetracked me. I’m hitting up a barre class tomorrow — should be interesting! Enjoy your yoga class!!

12 Elena February 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

You can do this! I have been trying to be better about this as well- trying to focus on the little things instead of big huge goals that somehow also seemed out of reach.

13 Mel {MamaBuzz} February 7, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Drink more water…. why is that such a struggle? And good for you with the license picture. That is definitely something important, especially in front of our kids. It’s so easy to make those little comments about ourselves. This is really inspiring, Erin.

14 Maria February 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm

You are lovely. :)

15 paula schuck February 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Plus One. Plus One!! This is absolutely great. I am on that same quest and what resonates with me is the NO self deprecating talk because we all do it. This year’s Blissdom Canada reminded me 100 % – that is never okay to live in a Just me kind of space. So ditch the Just. It’s me. I am cool with that. I drink more water because I got a sparkling water machine. No calories at all but it makes me more inclined to drink the water because it is different.

16 Katja of Skimbaco February 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Awesome reminder for all of us… :) Good luck, I know you can do it! Yoga and all :)

17 Jennifer Sikora February 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Learning to do the very same thing myself. Good for you!!! Us ME moms have to stick together

18 Jessica @EatSleepBe February 8, 2014 at 9:05 am

Just read this again. Pretty sure I should print it out and pin it to my forehead. Go Erin!

19 Triplezmom February 8, 2014 at 10:26 am

Love this idea! I definitely need to be better about water. I am not bad about me time, except that too much of my “me” time turns into staring at the television or the computer screen – I need to do more things that actually nourish me.