Saying adios to the pacifier

by Erin L. on August 6, 2013

I hate deciphering the weather. You look outside. It’s a bit cloudy and you think it’s going to be no big deal, then all of a sudden – BOOM, CRASH – there’s a torrential downpour, constant lightening and thunder so loud you know you won’t see the cats for days.

Then other times, you stare at the ominous sky, waiting for the clouds to open and the fireworks to start but they don’t.

We’re about to embark on a journey here at the Lane household. And I’m not quite sure if it’s going to result in a catostrophic Category 5 hurricane or if it’s just going to be a light drizzle.

It’s time to say good-bye to the pacifier!

Getting rid of the pacifier

I’m probably making a bigger deal out of this than it is.  I hope I am.  I pray I am.

Miss. E LOVES this thing.  It’s like her best friend and we’re about to box it off and send it to the babies who need it.  We talk about it,  about how she’s a big girl and big girls don’t need pacis but babies do.  But she’s two.  I have no concept of what she really understands.

With my son it was easy.  A cold at nine months killed his love of having it around except in the crib.  By 18 months, he could really care less and after a road trip, they were gone.  I don’t remember his noticing in the slightest.

This isn’t going to be like that.

Up until March and her second birthday, her paci was a constant companion except at for six hours a week at preschool.  I take total responsibility for that and looking back wish I had reigned that in a little earlier. Hindsight is always 20/20 and it is what it is.

Now she only gets it in her crib.  Well, she’s supposed to only get it in her crib.  Sometimes I find her curled up on the couch, paci in her mouth.  She looks up at me, a tad guilty, as she’s gone into her room and stealthily confiscated the goods.  She smiles when I tell her to put it back in her room and shakes her head.  It’s a battle every. single. time.

Pretty soon we’ll bring down her big girl bed, say good-bye to the crib and even start potty training.  We need to get rid of her paci first.  One step at a time.

My plan is to mark down the days for one week and then have a bye-bye paci party.  We’ll pack it up in a box and mail it to a baby who needs it.  Then we’ll head to the mall and maybe hit up Build A Bear and find something to fill the void.  I’ll probably need to pick up some wine on the way home in anticipation of a potentially rough bedtime.

Maybe not.

Maybe she’ll be ok.

Maybe this is more about me.

Have you been here?  How did you get rid of the pacifiers in your house?

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jessica @Bkeepsushonest August 6, 2013 at 10:58 am

Oh that is a tough transition. Jude is the only one of my boys that used a paci and we restricted it to only the crib when he got to about a year and then around 2 we dropped it all together.
Hopefully, it will be an easy transition.

2 Natalie August 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

My son was 3 when we just got rid of his. I had built it up SO much in my head, because it was such a source of comfort for him. We took him to build a bear and had him put it INSIDE the bear (you can feel it if you squeeze just right!) and he honest did not bat an eye about it, never even MENTIONED it after we got home. I was absolutely floored. It worked the same way with my older 2 as well. Good luck – I promise it wont be as bad as you think it will be.

3 Erin L. August 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oooh, inside the bear? That might be better than sending it away to a baby who needs it.

4 Laura August 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Callie only gets hers at bedtime. She doesn’t have a favorite blanket or toy she has to have–only her paci. So yeah, I’m pretty much terrified to take it away! Depending how she is doing in December, I may see if she understands it enough to leave it for Santa in exchange for presents. We’ shall see! Good luck!!

5 Erin L. August 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm

That’s a good idea. I’ve heard some people have a paci fairy come and take it and leave a present. We’ll see how it goes. I’m thinking September is as good a time as any. I just need to rip of the band aide.

6 Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) August 6, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Cal only gets it at bedtime so I am not planning on changing that any time soon. I stressed over it with Oscar and he had it WELL beyond when I thought it should have been gone. But the day we said goodbye was it. He was done and all was well. Calvin doesn’t have any other lovies right now so I am not going to fight this battle until he’s a bit older.

7 Erica Mueller August 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

Ours both gave theirs up after they ‘mysteriously went missing.’ With both children we got rid of all but one paci, so there were no spares. The first child dropped his behind our bed. We said ‘uh oh, all gone!’ and he never asked for it again.
The second child’s paci needed help disappearing, so I put it in a drawer one day. He’d ask for it, we’d look for it and say, ‘all gone’ and he’d be ok for a while, then ask for it again.

Not seeing it, not having us ask for it, not making a big deal out of it made things so easy. And yes, both of them were great friends with their pacis and couldn’t sleep without them… or so we thought. Age 18mo-2 they start understanding things like uh-uh and all-gone!

Good luck with the de-pacification. hehe

8 Erin L. August 7, 2013 at 10:47 am

We only have two left. Sometimes she holds them both as if she knows I’ve considered having one disappear.

9 Jared May 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Folloing this,I am certain you’ve obtained your self
a substantial social following. Make sure it stays up!