I’m a Diaper Bag Hoarder

by Erin L. on January 24, 2011

Last week a fellow social media maven and total fashionista, Vera, from Lady and the Blog wrote a few posts about what women carry around in their purses.  As I dumped out my own purse, I started thinking about my purse collection as a whole. I know my husband would be happy if I cleaned out the few shelves in our closet that hold them all (most of which I hardly use.)

Then I started thinking about diaper bags.  Oh, how I love them!  At my very first tradeshow, the now defunct JPMA Kid’s Show, I was introduced to the array of fabulousness that existed in the world of diaper bags.  I was newly married, nowhere near having kids, but boy did I like those bags!  There were so many options that didn’t scream pink and blue or have bunnies all over them.

At the next tradeshow (ABC Kids Expo) I caved and bought a beautiful leather bag by Born Out of Necessity. I thought it would make lovely travel bag.  Unfortunately, I didn’t factor in that toting a laptop, water bottle, and other essential travel items would make that beautiful leather bag very, very heavy.  But my love for diaper bags had been born. After that, I pretty much left every major trade show I attended with one in hand.

Before my son was born, I used the Touring Tote religiously as a purse.  I loved that I could include toys and diapers (should I have needed them) and also be able to carry it without anyone asking why I was carrying a diaper bag.

Fast forward many years and here I am – mom of a two year old and due in two months with my second. I am the proud embarrassed owner of nine diaper bags (that I can find).  My day to day bag is the lillebaby Oslo which holds everything I need, has tons of pockets and can just be wiped down when it gets dirty.  It also helps that my laptop fits.  But with this new baby on the way, I can’t lie – I want a new one.

Bo2N, BabyStar, lillebaby, SkipHop, Petunia Picklebottom and Pink Lining

For example, this plum bag from OiOi is gorgeous, but a smidge outside my price range (considering I don’t remotely need a bag!) And as you can see from the three I own in my picture, I am a huge Petunia fan. My next purchase will likely be their new weekender bag. I am totally justifying this purchase because it’s not really a diaper bag.  It’s for travelling.

Wait…isn’t that how all this got started?

How many diaper bags do you own and which are your favorites?

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jessica January 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Wow! That is a collection. I have 1 diaper bag, a SkipHop bag from Target. It has served me well and I've considered getting a new one for baby 2 but have a hard time justifying the costs when I already have one. However, there are soooo many cute ones out there, I may just have to cave.

2 Jess January 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm

lol This is funny. I have no idea how many I have! I would guess about 6, though (OiOi, lillebaby, BabyStar, Land's End, ect.). Right now, my favorite is the new (used) Kate Spade back pack I got for our FL trip. :)

3 Lawson Avery January 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I don't know but I want to borrow that front green one!! :) BEAUTIFUL!!

4 Andrea January 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Haha I share your obsession! Be it a purse, diaper bag, tote. I can't help myself! Every time I come home with a bag from a conference or something Jerry has this look on his face like, oh GOOD. Another bag.

SO, my count. I think I have 5 official Diaper bags – 2 handmade Amy Butler bags, a Target diaper bag, my Lillebaby and the same Pink Lining bag you have! I also used a large Holly Aiken tote as a diaper bag and still do sometimes. And yes, I am wanting another one too.

It's a sickness.

5 Esther January 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm

We have just 2- Kate Spade for me and Skip Hop for me or my husband. If there are any others I want, I blog about them instead of buying them :-)

6 cindy w January 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Oh wow. I have one diaper bag, which has been gathering dust in the closet for well over a year (haven't used it since Catie was potty-trained). I was just thinking that I need a new one because the one I have is pretty worn out, but I was feeling greedy for wanting two. This post definitely made me feel better, and I'll be sure to show it to my husband when I need to justify the expense of a new diaper bag!

7 Lauren January 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

None of the diaper bags I own are that nice but in the 22 months that I've carried one I have changed bags about six times. I get bored! Now I want one that doesn't look like a diaper bag at all. I started using a purse but it's kind of flimsy. I think that Skip Hop makes pretty handbag-style ones. Yeah. Totally getting another. They're like shoes!

8 Melissa {adventuroo} January 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Haha- that's quite a collection of bags! I have had three over the years but my most recent one is my fave. It's the Fleurville tote and it's WORTH EVERY PENNY.

9 Katy Emery Warren January 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I had a Petunia bag that I sold at Rhea Lana's consignment sale last fall and I have a Vera Bradley bag that I use as a purse/diaper bag, but I will definitely be in the market for a new one, come this spring and new baby.

10 Kelly Jernigan January 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Good for you for putting this out there!! I actually only have (1) diaper bag, and it's the same one I had with #1 (http://www.wendybellissimo.com/products/product_detail.php?id=79)
I just saw it in there one day & bought it! It looks so much like a purse I carry it everywhere & get so many compliments on it from people that don't even know it is a baby bag. You may have inspired me to write a post in the near future about my scarf hoarding obsession – we all have something we like to collect :)

11 MommyB Knows Best January 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm

OMG you are insane, but they're super cute!

12 Jessica R. January 25, 2011 at 5:06 am

Love it! Diaper bags make the best computer purses really. Especially for writers! There are plenty of pockets for everything.
Why yes… I did just enable your obsession. You're welcome!